I Don’t Get It.

I saw the most horrifying thing on the way to work today (at least for me, dog-lover extraordinaire). I was driving on the interstate when, in front of me, I see a truck with a dog in the back. Normally, this makes me a little nervous, but I understand it’s a legitimate way for dogs to travel. However. This particular truck had no tailgate. So, the poor Rotty riding around in the back would be totally screwed if his a-hole owner slammed on brakes. To make matters worse, the guy is going at least 75, and every time he switches lanes, the dog jumps. Why? Other than to give me a heart attack, I don’t know. No one would ride behind this truck, I know because they were worried the dog would fly out and they’d run it over. He finally got off on an exit, but man, I just don’t get that. And no, the dog wasn’t wearing a leash that was tied to something or anything like that.

To me, that is irresponsible. Maybe it’s just me, but I care enough about my animals to make sure they can’t fly from my vehicle at a moment’s notice. My smaller dog rides in my lap (because she pukes if she’s anywhere else in the car) and our big dog rides in a dog hammock across the back seat of our SUV. Granted, Brock (the big lab) will never be trusted in the back of a truck again because of his idiocy…

Funny Story: My FIL was driving Brock somewhere and had him in the bed of the truck, but had his leash pulled through the back window so he could hold onto it. This was lucky because Brock soon decided to jump out of the truck while it was moving. Fortunately, they weren’t out of their neighborhood yet, so they were going slow, because Brock essentially hung himself out the side of the truck and was being dragged along the road. Idiot dog. Granted, most normal dogs do not do death-defying jumps such as this out of a moving vehicle, but the point I am trying to make is that dogs should be properly restrained when riding anywhere!

::steps off of soapbox::

PSA- they do make these things:

8 thoughts on “I Don’t Get It.

1. Danemama08

I so agree. I seen a truck yesterday that had 2! dogs in the back of thier truck and nither were secure, and both dogs( Im guessin the were a sheepdog, thats what they looked like) were hanging out on top of their tool box. I was horrifed for the poor dogs, and almost had WH follow them to make sure that the dogs got to where they were going safely, but he said no!

2. devon

Oh that is so scary! I hate seeing things like that! I treat my little black lab/chow Sadie like a baby. I'm so glad that guy made it off the interstate before something happened.

Brock's story was funny! Glad he made the leap safely! :)

3. NikkiFudgestick

Here, here sister! This kind of stuff is ridiculous! My DH always says "Well some dogs just know better." Yeah some dogs are well trained like that but even the best dog can get a wild hair or lose their balance! There's an idiot in my town that drives around with his 5 dogs howling and running all around the back of his pick up. Makes me sick!

4. Anne

OMG I can't get over that picture at the end of your post, it just funny for some reason. But yeah, I completely agree, what a tool!! I would NEVER let anything of the sort happen to our dogs…he obviously did not care much about the poor thing. :( It's amazing that he didn't fall out!!

5. Carrie

We had a leash similar to the one in the picture for our dog when we moved and had to keep her in the back of the truck on the way to our new home. She broke the cord and jumped out anyway. Luckily, we were driving super-slow, so she was okay. After that we just sat her in our laps in the cab for the rest of the drive. (Note that this dog was a rather large and slobbery black lab. I love her. I really do. Otherwise she wouldn't have been crushing my lap.)

6. Angeline

How awful! I would have made the man pull over or get his car tag and call animal services! I'm sorry u had to see that!

7. jCam

I totally agree with you. In fact, I will go one step further and say I don't think it is okay for a dog to be in the back ever – even if it is with the tailgate up and strapped in. Dogs should always be inside a vehicle!!!