How Now Brown Cow

Knox is quickly outgrowing his Chicco car seat/ carrier. More like, my arm can’t handle the weight of him in the carrier, but still. I know he can be in there until 22 pounds, but he’s 18 now, not to mention how much that carrier (which I believe is stuffed with lead weights) weighs, and I am a weakling. I should have major “guns” by this point after lugging that thing around for six months, but I think they’re in hiding. He is so tall that his little toes are at the very end of the seat, so I do believe it’s about time to do the car seat switcheroo.

We bought this when Knox was about two months old:

I swear to you, I knew that my child would have this Britax Marathon car seat before I was even pregnant. I am “udderly” obsessed with like cowprint, and, most importantly, it’s has excellent safety ratings. So it’s been hanging out in our guest room for four months awaiting the day when it would be sprung from its box. I do believe the time is upon us.

I’m scared.

It’s so nice having Knox be able to stay asleep when we go places and have his own little space, away from the germy touchy-feely people. Now, he’ll be loose and able to flail about to his heart’s content. He can’t sit unassisted yet, but is fine supported. He usually naps when we go out to lunch at work, but I guess that won’t work anymore. It’s one of those Catch 22s- do I want my arm to fall off at the shoulder from lifting that heavy carrier so he can sleep during lunch, or do I want to lighten the load and increase the stress with a tired, wild child baby in a highchair at lunch. Decisions, decisions. Although, it’s not much of a decision since it will HAVE to happen within the next month because he’s growing like a weed.

I am going to have to fight the urge to dress him in his cow print diaper, cow print baby legs and stick him in the cow print car seat. You know this.

And I’ll probably do it anyway.

12 thoughts on “How Now Brown Cow

1. kristy

So cute! Paxton is up to 16 big ol' lbs now, and when I pick him up in his car seat, it feels like my arm is going to fall right off. Methinks we'll be looking into transitioning soon too. Good luck!

2. Mrs. MidAtlantic

Who is that one by? I'm starting to think about carseats for Laura, and fully admit that I have no idea where to start researching!

3. Krista

That is ADORABLE! Parker is going to be 11 months old in a couple of weeks :( He is pretty much ready for his next car seat but for now he still uses the infant one. I have no idea which brand to buy and all of that but we're ready for him to be in a normal front facing car seat.

On the lunch thing, Parker wasn't quite able to sit up when I started putting him in high chairs, I just brought a blanket and stuffed it all around him so he wouldn't lean.

Knox is going to be the cutest kid around in his cow print!

4. Casey

I struggled carry the carrier. Reese was SO heavy in it! But she loves her seat now and it looks way more comfortable. It is easier to me just to get her in and out of the car. But he should be able to sit in a high chair when you go out to eat, he'll love it! Do you have a cover or a floppy?

5. Jenn

I suppose getting the stroller that the car seat fits into is a bit much at this point? Since he'll outgrow it soon enough? Otherwise, I'd say you could keep him in the current seat, and you'd only have to lift it from car to stroller. Just a thought.

We have the Chicco-35 (I think), but at 16lbs, I'm going to have to stop carrying the whole thing soon enough too! Good luck!

6. Jessica@The Southern Belle Baby

It's the Britax Marathon in "cowmooflauge." Sorry I forgot to include that little detail… I went back and added it!

Mrs. MA and Krista, If you don't know where to start looking with certain baby items, I highly recommend getting the "Baby Bargains" book. It's awesome! They have safety ratings, price comparisons, etc. on everything from cribs to car seats to high chairs. And this Britax seat will be rear-facing for a while, also.

Casey, we do have a floppy seat cover, and we have a portable hook-on high chair that we bought for the house, but we ended up getting the Fisher Price space saver, so we'll probably keep that in the car, too!

7. Jessica@The Southern Belle Baby

Jenn, we do have the travel system, it's just a matter of taking the carrier from the car to the house, in and out of work, etc. so taking out the stroller would be overkill. I definitely use it for shopping though!

8. Kristin V

We switched from the chicco to the marathon when B was 4 months. I love the new seat!! You don't have to fight with the straps because of the velcro, B gets to see out the window, and he stays so much cooler (it is wicked hot out here in AZ).

Also, at my target they were on clearance for around 230ish the other week. Britax is coming out with a new design.

9. Once Upon A Time

You could always wear Knox when you go places using a baby carrier like a wrap, sling, or soft-sided carrier. Then he might still fall asleep during lunch. :)