Mexican Lasagna

This is a recipe I created (although I know I don’t hold the patent on Mexican Lasagna) a while back and wanted to share with you guys. We LOVE Mexican food in our house, and we’re always looking for new recipes utilizing our favorite ingredient: queso. YUM. This lasagna works just like a traditional one, except the noodles are replaced with tortillas and the other ingredients have a Mexican twist on them instead of your traditional Italian ricotta and such . I will say these pictures of the lasagna aren’t as pretty as it normally looks because I had to improvise with the cheese- I’ll explain later- but it was still delicious.

Ingredients:

1 pack of 10 flour tortillas (you’ll use them all)
1 can (14.5 oz) tomato sauce
1 medium onion, half diced and half sliced
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
1 can (14.5 oz) refried beans (we prefer low fat or vegetarian because then we can have more cheese!)
1 block of Queso-Melt cheese (or 10 oz tub of Queso-Melt cheese dip)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin to taste

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Start off by making your burrito sauce. This will act as your red sauce in the lasagna. Take your sliced onions and sweat them (cook until translucent) in a bit of olive oil in a non-stick saucepan. Once those are done, add your can of tomato sauce. Sometimes I use a can plus one of those little 8 0z cans, depending on how saucy my mood is that day. Season with your salt, pepper, garlic powder (lots) and a little bit of cumin and chili powder. Cumin goes a long way- don’t over do it! Bring this to a bubble and let simmer for five to ten minutes. Set aside.

While your sauce is a-simmering, brown up your hamburger meat over medium heat. Once browned, add your diced onion and cook until it’s translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

For the refried beans, I just take the can of beans, dump them in a tupperware dish and add about a 1/4 can of water. Heat them for two minutes in the microwave and stir. The water thins them out enough to spread.

Grate your cheese, or if the store has rejected your numerous pleas to carry the BEST CHEESE ON EARTH, you can use your favorite queso dip, instead. It tastes the same, but it looks kind of ugly. That’s okay, though.

This is the cheese brand you should buy if you ever see it. Bi-Lo generally always has it. Trust me that it's worth the $6 you'll pay for it. Tastes just like what you eat in the Mexican restaurants.

Okay, now we’re ready to assemble:

1) Lightly spray your casserole dish with cooking spray. Then, cover the bottom lightly with red sauce.

2) Layer two flour tortillas on top of this. I lay one whole one in the center, then rip another in half and lay it as shown.

3) Sprinkle 1/2 of your ground beef/onion mixture over the tortillas.

4) Add 1/3 of remaining red sauce.

5) More tortillas.

6) Add 1/2 of your refried beans. Top with your cheese or cheese dip.

7) Repeat these steps until you use all of the tortillas. Top final layer with red sauce and shredded cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese on top gets all melty, browned and bubbly. Let set for 10 minutes before slicing so all of your cheese and sauce don’t go and rush out.

I *may* have overfilled mine a bit… maybe. Also? It normally looks so much prettier than this when I use shredded cheese, but I assure you, it tasted phenomenal.

Hold me. I love cheese. Obviously, it won’t be so runny if you use shredded cheese (or if you actually let it set for 10 minutes like you’re supposed to before slicing into it.).

This tastes like a giant, delicious burrito. This makes four monster servings- Trevor can never eat two, even though he always says he will. That’s okay, though, because then he can have some for lunch. So there you have it, Mexican Lasagna!

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

19 Comments

• Reply Rebecca

Yummo!!!! I can’t wait to try it once tomatoes kill me!

July 18, 2011 at 2:52 pm
  • Reply Rebecca

don’t kill me…i meant 🙂

July 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm
    • Reply Jessica

LOL, okay good!

July 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm
  • Reply Ashley D

I cannot wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!

July 18, 2011 at 3:17 pm
  • Reply Mrs. MidAtlantic

I was going to make tacos tonight… but I am deifnitely making this instead!! Can’t wait to get home now! (more than I couldn’t wait before I read this recipe!)

July 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm
    • Reply Jessica

Oh yes, it beats the pants off of tacos! 🙂

July 18, 2011 at 3:57 pm
  • Reply Grace

Well, I think I know what I’m making for dinner now! This sounds so much better than boring old chicken.

July 18, 2011 at 3:20 pm
  • Reply Heather

I never would have thought to layer tortillas like that! Looks delicious! We will definately try this, thanks!

July 18, 2011 at 7:35 pm
  • Reply Jen

Oh. My. Goodness. That looks crazy good! So much so that I plan on making it tomorrow for dinner! Thanks for sharing!

July 18, 2011 at 7:48 pm
  • Reply Judy

You’ve gone and made me hungry! I’ll be trying this next week… Thanks for sharing! …lemme pin this page… Annnd done!

July 18, 2011 at 9:40 pm
  • Reply Juani

Tortillas are sooo expensive in South Africa (where I’m from).So I tend to make my own tortillas,even though it’s really time-consuming.I’m definitely going to make this recipe,since it’s a combo of couple of my favorite foods – cheese and carbs!Nice!

July 19, 2011 at 5:46 am
  • Reply Mrs.S

Sweet baby Jesus in a manger that looks AWESOME. I am totally making this for dinner tonight. YUMMMMMM

July 19, 2011 at 9:39 am
  • Reply Selina

That looks sooo good! I’ll have to try that soon!

Quick question though… you mention in your first layer of beans to only use 1/2 of the beans. Does that mean you only used half of the ground beef in the first layer of meat? You didn’t quite clarify that step…. thanks!

July 19, 2011 at 1:03 pm
    • Reply Jessica

Yes, just use half in both steps. You’ll have two ground beef layers and two bean layers. I went back and edited that to make more sense!

July 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm
  • Reply Lynn

I made this for dinner last night and it was YUMMY! We loved it!! Thanks! My hubs asked me where I got the recipe and I said “from a blog…of a girl I don’t know”. Of course he just rolled his eyes 🙂

July 20, 2011 at 11:53 am
    • Reply Jessica

I’m so glad you liked it! LOL, husbands just don’t understand!

July 20, 2011 at 11:56 am
  • Reply Selina

Ok, this is on my meal plan for this next week! I’m going shopping today (hopefully I can find that cheese) and I can’t wait to make it! 😀

November 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm
  • Reply Selina

Alrighty – well, I finally got around to making this last night, haha. I couldn’t find the cheese, so I just shredded up some monterrey jack instead and hoped it would work. 🙂
    It was very yummy! The only problem I ran into was it seems like you had a lot more red sauce than I ended up with! My whole thing ended up being pretty dry, instead of runny & gooey like yours. I may try using 2 cans of sauce next time to see if that helps.
    Thanks for the yummy recipe! We’ll definitely be having it again!

November 15, 2011 at 12:44 pm
    • Reply Jessica

Glad you liked it! Yes, I said in the directions that sometimes I add another 8 oz can of tomato sauce, and that is exactly why! I like mine saucy, but some people like more cheese than sauce. Next time, just add a little extra sauce and you’ll be in business!

November 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm