Waiting for it

In church on Sunday, our pastor gave us a message that really made me think. He was teaching about the story of Abraham and Sarah. If you’re not familiar with the story, God promised Abraham that he would grow through him a great nation- a nation that would begin with a son. He was 86 at the time of God’s initial promise to him, but he believed that God would grant him a child. However, after 11 years passed, he and his wife, Sarah, grew wary of the wait. Instead of keeping their faith, Sarah suggested that Abraham impregnate her servant, Hagar, and carry on his line through her. So he did, and she bore him a son named Ishmael. However, when Abraham turned 100, God granted him the son he had promised him- in His perfect timing, Isaac (which means laughter… because wouldn’t you laugh if you had a baby at 100?) was born.

The message our pastor gave was urging us to wait for our Isaac and not to try replacing him with an Ishmael. God’s timing is perfect, even if it is not our own. “Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the very time God had promised him” (Genesis 21:2).┬áHave you ever wondered what was taking God so long? Whether in your love life, your desire to have a child, your career, your social life, whatever. Have you ever prayed for something so hard and just couldn’t wrap your mind around God’s timing? Why wasn’t he listening? Why weren’t you important enough to answer? Well guess what? He doesn’t always answer us in the way (or the time) we would choose, but he ALWAYS answers us. Trying to replace our true purpose with a stand-in will not fulfill us. We have to have faith that God will be there for us and will work to make His will known in our lives.

Personally, I’ve been struggling with my purpose. I have no idea what it is I’m supposed to “do,” but I know that I want to do something from a ministry standpoint. I’ve prayed and prayed about it, but I feel like I keep circling around to no avail. I have no clue. Trying to force myself into different roles won’t (and is not going to) work- I’m just going to have to wait for Him to reveal His plan to me in His time. Because for whatever reason, God wants me to wait right now. Waiting is hard. I’m not good at waiting. I think he knows that and makes me wait for longer just because He knows I hate it. I don’t think He does that to be mean- I think He does it to help me grow as a person. Sometimes the best part of the lesson is in the wait.

Some of my biggest mistakes have been made by trying to force the timing of something. If I can’t figure out what I’m “meant” to do, I will try my darnedest to replace my purpose with a “just for now” or similar substitution. I’ve learned, however, over the past 26 years or so of doing this, that rushing things won’t work. The good things in life are worth waiting for, even if waiting makes you want to pull your hair out sometimes. So, here I sit, waiting, but I am striving to serve Him in the meantime and make this wait purposeful. So… what are you waiting for?

18 thoughts on “Waiting for it

1. Courtney

Nice post! Very thought-provoking!

Are you still taking your classes? If so, when would you complete your program? Just wondering, since I haven’t heard you talk about it lately…

No, Courtney, I tried it for about a week before I realized that there was no way I could keep up with it right now, so I withdrew in time to get a refund. I do want to go back eventually, but I will be waiting until the boys are a little older so that I have more time to devote.

2. Emily

I am in the same place, it is so hard waiting on God’s timing, when you feel like you are ready for something right now :-).
    As I was reading this post, I realized what a good teacher you are. Do you think this blog could be part of your ministry? You are very good at making story applicable to real life. What if you started doing so devotions on here?

Thank you, Emily, for saying so! I have thought about using the blog as a ministry, I just haven’t quite figured out how to do it, other than talking about my own experiences. Maybe I could start doing some kind of devotional- that’s a great idea!

3. Jaclyn

Love this post! I heard and read this a lot while we were trying to get pregnant. I was soo frustrated because I really wanted a baby and didn’t understand why it wasn’t happening when I wanted it to. It wasn’t until I let go, prayed about it and just put it all in the Lord’s hands that it happened. Things happen in his time and on his clock, sometimes it is just hard for us to see that…. especially if you are like me and like to plan things! Lol Don’t worry I am sure you will figure out what you are supposed to do, in time. And when you do, it will all make perfect sense!

Trying to get pregnant was a really rough time for me, as well, and verses like this really did help me come to terms with the wait. That’s when it happened for us, too- sometimes you just have to surrender!

4. Mindy

Thank you for this post! I really struggled with ‘the wait’ to have a child, but God had a perfect plan for us, everything was orchestrated so beautifully, I couldn’t have planned it better myself! Now I struggle with the wait to find a job…I’ve had several interviews but continue to not have success. I continue to tell myself that God’s plan is best for me, and he needs me serving elsewhere. I just hope His plans are known soon…our checkbook would also be greatly appreciative ;-)

5. Yani

Thanks for this messages I really needed this im going to a thought situation in my marriage n this answer alot of my prayers….thank u

6. Krystle

Loved this post!! I couldn’t help but relate this to Giuliana Rancic and her announcement yesterday that she has breast cancer. 2 failed IVFs and in preparation for a 3rd they found the breast cancer. Had she gotten pregnant on her timing they may not have caught the cancer at an early stage or a pregnancy could have accelerated the cancer. God’s timing is so much greater than our own.

I think God has great things in store for you Jessica! You helped me through my infertility through your blog and I believe you speak to many hearts through this blog.

I hadn’t heard about Giuliana, that is so sad! You’re so right, though- sometimes there is a reason we have to wait.

And thank you, Krystle, that means so much to me!! I’m so glad I was able to help in some way.

7. Wifey

I have been so behind on my blog reading but I am finally catching up and have loved your blog updates. I especially love this post. I can relate on so many levels. Reading “Sometimes the best part of the lesson is in the wait.” just made me smile because it is so relevant for our journey. Thanks for sharing and I hope you are doing well!!!

8. Erica

I just saw this post and Im a little late but I just started a new Baptist church this weekend coming from pentecostal and I loved it and its really helping me to put more faith in god’s timing. I too struggle with one issue specifically which is wanting a marriage with my children’s father. We were engaged before they were born but went through a really rough patch ….then the babies came a long and we were pretty much un-engaged at that point. Now I feel like I don’t know what he wants for our relationship….I pray about it and sometimes i feel like “God…am I not good enough to be a WIFE” ….but like you said I have to trust in God’s plan and timing