Bribery: It’s not just for kids

Did you know that you could bribe yourself? Well, friends, I’m here to tell you that 1) you can and 2) it works! I am holding on to a few pounds after having Brody that I’d love to lose, but can’t seem to shake. I am *this* close to fitting back into my pre-pregnancy jeans. They can button, but the avalanche of fat that gushes over the sides and the stretching zipper aren’t all that pleasant to behold. I figure I’m five pounds shy of where I need to be. After having Knox, I was back in my old jeans at around 8 weeks post partum. Yeah. That second kid’ll getcha. And your waistline!

So, I decided to take a stand against the pounds! They have to go. My problem is willpower. I just really, really like to eat. And I have no time to work out, thanks to my baby’s erratic sleeping “schedule.” If he went to sleep at the same time and I knew how long he’d stay asleep, it’d be easy to get something done, but that is not the case. So, I had to make eating right and exercising worth my while because apparently being skinny isn’t enough incentive for me.

My hair stylist started doing some new hair extensions, and knowing I’m ready for my hair to be long again, she told me about them. They’re called Hot Heads, and they’re a lot better for your hair than the bonded hair extensions and you can re-use the hair three times, making it much more economical (granted, they’re still a few hundred bucks the first time). I want them. Like, yesterday. I miss having long hair so much, but I can never make it much past my shoulders before I get sick to death of growing it out. So I decided to bribe myself.

If I lose 10 pounds, I can get hair extensions (if I can save up the money for them, too).

I’ve lost three pounds this week. Yeah. Bribery works. I’m eating the same stuff, just a little less (trying not to snack… my downfall!), and trying to squeeze in a random workout during the day. If Brody goes to sleep, I just start doing squats, lunges, crunches, etc. for as long as I can before feeling like I’m going to die. Hopefully I can keep it up!

Speaking of getting skinny, I figured it was time to bite the bullet and get a bathing suit for summer since it’s already hot as blazes here. However, I did not feel like conventional bathing suit shopping because it’s depressing. So I bought one online.

How cute and pin-up girlish is this?! It’s from Modcloth, and has almost 400 amazing reviews about how flattering it is, so hopefully it’ll work for me. I’ve never worn a one-piece, but thanks to my mangled belly button and stretch marks galore, my bikini days are behind me! It can be hard to find mom-friendly bathing suits that are still young and sexy looking, so I was happy to find this one! Hopefully it’ll fit well and I like it because I’ll be using it for several years… it was more $ than I usually spend on bathing suits! Anyway, just thought I’d share since so many of y’all are probably looking for the same thing!

11 thoughts on “Bribery: It’s not just for kids

1. Mrs. SLPS

You go girl! Three pounds in one week is awesome, keep it up! You’ll have those extensions in no time flat. I’m in desperate need of new bathing suits as well. Living in Florida and having a pool, we go through several bathing suits a year because we’re always in the chemicals and they get damaged and stretched out no matter how hard we try to keep them in good shape. I’m on the hunt for Lallie right now and then me before our Keys trip next month.

2. Kristal

Nice Job! I’m in the same situation. Still have 5 extra pounds and I just can’t knock it (darn the 2nd child!). My husband is a school teacher. So in two weeks when he is home over summer break, I’m bound and determined to lose the weight. With the extra help I’ll have no excuse NOT to work out. :)

3. Allyce

Good job, girl, keep it up! I hear with the exercise and how it’s hard when you don’t know when you’re baby is going to sleep! I should follow in your footsteps and do the same. That swimsuit SO cute, I love it!

4. Seilna

I’m the same way. I want to lose that extra weight… but I’m not quite motivated enough. I say I want to, but then that afternoon snack craving tells me I REALLY want chocolate. ;) But I’m sure you’re stronger than I am. Keep up the good work and you’ll be at 10lbs in no time!

That bathing suit is super cute! You’re going to look great in it.

5. Rachel

I have a bathing suit just like that but it’s black with white polka dots… SO flattering! You will love it!!

6. Aaryn

For me it wasn’t baby #2; with my first, I was in maternity until 10 months post partum! I just had to learn how to lose the weight. Thankfully I joined weight watchers and the weight fell off! This time around I was back to my pre preg weight (which is also about 20 lbs less than what i had always been) by 6 months post partum. I am feeling more “fat” than last time, although people don’t see what I see…I am proud of my accomplishments, but I am looking forward to my tummy tuck.

How’s the search for the jogging stroller? The beauty of that is you get an intense work out, even when kids are awake!

Aaryn, that’s great that Weight Watchers worked so well for you! And we actually did get a jogging stroller, only we can only walk with it right now because Brody is too little for running!

7. Salima

Well, being a mommy, I sure know how it feels to want so desperately to lose that baby weight! I am a petite size and ended up gaining 75 lbs while I was pregnant. It took me a whole year to lose it all because I did it the right way, diet + exercise. I would do crunches in the morning before work and in the evening before bed, lots of walking/running during lunch breaks at work, and even squats while cooking dinner, lol. So good luck and keep it up! Summer is almost here and that bathing suit you just bought is pretty darn cute! I love the vintage look of it!

8. Julie

Congratulations on losing 3 pounds in one week!!! Awesome:) And I LOVE that bathing suit—I have to buy something new but I can’t pull the trigger. It’s my least favorite thing to buy, right??