We got so much done this weekend in the kitchen department. We wanted to go ahead and get as much of the beadboard backsplash up as possible, so our first step was to rip out the existing cabinet over the sink. If you remember, our plan is to install open shelving on that wall, so the cabinet had to go. Trevor took out the screws and tried to pull it off. It didn’t budge.
One he took a hammer to it, we found out why… the whole thing was stick/custom built to the wall. Good to know our cabinets are of very nice quality and definitely aren’t going anywhere- those suckers are sturdy! And yes, we did cover our pretty new granite countertops with pillows and blankets to protect them. Thanks for asking.
It took about 20 minutes to remove the entire cabinet from the wall. Woo hoo, hello empty wall!
It bears mentioning that while Trevor was ripping out the cabinet, Knox was eating lunch. Trevor called me to help with a piece of the cabinet, and when I walked back into the dining room, not two minutes later, this is what I found:
Yep, that would be my two year-old helping himself to a box of Krispy Kreme donuts. He pulled out and ate on three and was going for a fourth. Can we say major hyperactivity for the rest of the day? Why yes, yes we can.
After I scrubbed endless glaze off of Knox, the table and the floor, we got back to work! We headed out to Lowe’s to pick up our beadboard and other supplies.
The next day, we started work on the cutting. When I say “we,” I mean Trevor and his buddy, Cole. (Thanks, Lindsey, for letting us borrow him!) I was watching both of the children, so I wasn’t of much help with this part. They did endless measuring, adjusting and cutting, and got off to a great start.
(Ignore all of the crap off of our counters consolidated onto the island… okay?)
They got a few pieces up, and and yesterday Trevor finished up a lot on his own. We decided to put the panels all the way to the ceiling on the wall where our open shelves will be. The door and the window don’t line up, height-wise, so it would have made things look off center if we had gone to that height with the beadboard. This is what it looks like as of today.
I decided that when we build our open shelves, I’m going to stain them dark walnut. I was going to paint them white, but considering all of our dishes are white, too, that’d be a lot of white, and I think we need something to break all that up. Our butcher block will be stained the same dark walnut on the island, so it’ll blend well together. The wall space that we have exposed will be getting painted a light grey blue, which will be the same color we paint our living room, so it’ll look like one cohesive space.
We just have a piece left to do over the window and a skinny bit over the door before we can start adding the trim, then caulking and painting everything.
By the way, I am obsessed with our new faucet. Love it. Amazon.com is my hero for allowing us such a nice fixture within our budget!
Still so much left to do, but it is so exciting to see things coming along in the kitchen. Our butcher block for the island will be arriving tomorrow from Ikea, so there will be lots of staining and sealing going on this week before that can be installed, hopefully this weekend.
As if that wasn’t enough to do in one long weekend, I also spent a few hours making a major change in our dining room. I’ll share that tomorrow!
This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.