Rain, rain, go the heck away.

When it rains, it pours. We found out yesterday that Brody will have to have surgery in two weeks. He was born with Hypospadias, where the urethra opens just below where it should. In many cases, this can correct itself, and seeing as how Brody’s was very mild, the doctors thought that it would. The only “complication” was that he was unable to be circumcised at birth and would have to have a follow-up with a urologist at six months old. I didn’t talk about it on the blog because it was really a non-issue, and honestly, what little boy wants a bunch of women talking about his willy on the internet? I figured he’d appreciate the lack of discussion!

I took him to the pediatric urologist yesterday, and after the doctor took a look, he started discussing Brody’s surgery. I was completely caught off-guard. I honestly had not even thought about the surgery because I had been told so many times that it would likely correct itself. The surgery itself will take place at the children’s hospital on September 4. We have to be there at 7:15 and the surgery should start around 9:15. Basically, they are going to have to go in and snip the membrane between the urethral opening and the natural opening to help correct things. He will have to have a catheter in place for about a week after the surgery, and will have a lot of dissolvable stitches. Brody will have to be put under general anesthesia for this surgery, and I am a nervous wreck, to put it mildly. Right now, I honestly just can’t think about it. I dread this surgery. I am scared to death about the actual procedure, as well as his pain level afterwards. I can’t bear the thought of my child in pain, and it makes me physically ill to think about it.

Y’all are probably getting sick of all of this doom and gloom and my zillion prayer requests, but this is real life over here! Sometimes bad stuff happens, and I’m not about to gloss it all over to make everyone think my life is perfect for the sake of appearances. So if you would, please pray for my sweet little Brody and for a very safe, safe surgery!

18 thoughts on “Rain, rain, go the heck away.

1. Elizabeth

Oh man, I am so sorry to read this. It is heartbreaking to have our babies have to go through anything. I remember how bad I felt when Shane had his circumcised at birth. My heart hurt for him but I knew it was something he needed to have done. I spoke with the doctor who would be doing the surgery and he said we were doing the right thing. His own grandson had to have the surgery at the age of 5 or 6 and I guess it was AWFUL. The good thing is that Brody is so young that he will not remember having anything done. I am sure you will never ever forget. I am sure things will go well and hopefully Brody will have a speedy recovery. This is NOT what you needed right now with everything else you have going on. God is sending you the strength my friend.

2. amy

Hey Jess

Prayers for sure coming your way, but just so you know, I knew a little boy who had this done not very long ago. They actually waited ’til he was well over a year old b/c of the anisthesia but he had to take antibiotics his whole life and they had to rush him in every time he got a fever, so it began to be a bit of a struggle and became immune to many drugs. Probably not what you want to hear, but better now than later. He recovered quickly though and all is well. Hope all goes smoothly for you too.

Amy

3. Erica

Well hun my son is 2 1/2 and has to be re-circumcised :( because he got an adhesion and the original doctor didnt take enough off the bottom ….so when he gets “excited” (LOL) it looks like a banana! …….so now we have to make an appt for him for that and he has to be put under too. The thought of my little guy under anesthesia freaks me out big time :(

4. Erin

Praying for Brody! Will they go ahead and circumcise him at the same time? Seems like it’d be best to have it all done at once and under anesthesia. (Sorry, if that’s a stupid question, my boys are uncircumcised so I’m not really familiar with the options. Just wondering, and of the thought that one surgery is better than two.)

Erin, yes they will circumcise him at the same time. We’re hoping this is a “one and done” situation!!

5. Courtney

Hey I have followed your blog for awhile now. You always crack me up. I have never commented before but I wanted to tell you our older son (now 2) had this surgery when we was 6 months old. We are in NY and went to a pediatric urologist. It was so scary as a mom, but he was such a champ. We came home with a catheter and that was kinda creepy, but once we learned to keep it clean the week went by pretty easy and quick. We double diapered him so the diaper didn’t have to be changed as often. I would recommend disposables for the week. We cut a hole in the inside diaper and fed the catheter through it and then put a larger sized diaper over top. Then the poop goes in the inside diaper but the pee goes to the outside one. Kinda confusing but it made diaper changes a lot easier. Most times just the outside diaper gets changed and the catheter doesn’t really get touched. It’s such a scary mommy moment but he will be so happy you did it when he gets older.

Courtney, thanks for the comment! That’s what the urologist suggested we do, as well, for the diapering. Yeah, we will be using disposables and actually have been with Brody for a couple months because I just can’t keep up with the cloth laundry with everything we have going on right now. I’ve learned to pick my battles because I can’t physically do everything! Thanks for the encouragement- I hope this is as painless as possible for him!

6. Kelly

Oh girl…you guys sure do have a lot going on! Prayers for both your sweeties and for mama’s sanity!!! Hopefully this season in your lives is almost over! xoxo

7. erica

Nothing ever wrong with requesting prayers, girl! Once a year, once a month, every day….doesn’t matter! :) Hope things go well! It’s hard to handle so many things at one time. Sometimes I feel like I have more on my plate than I can handle. But, I know that God knows better than I do and knows that yes, I can handle whatever is put before me. Somehow and in some way and He will get me through it.

8. Kristy

Oh my. I’m sorry you guys have had so many trials lately! I’ll certainly pray for your sweet boy – for an easy, painless surgery and a swift recovery! Hugs to you!

9. Megan

Oh, Jess. Tears streaming down my face reading this, because I’m just so sorry it’s one more thing. You and Trevor are so strong and can handle all these curveballs, even though it must feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders. You are such an incredible Mama. Thank you for being open and honest with all of us and allowing us to storm the gates of heaven with prayers for your beautiful boys. xoxo

10. Laura

My little boy had the same surgery at 4 1/2 months old and he did great! I think my husband and I had a harder time. Praying everything go smoothly!