Blah!

Right now, I’m basically neck-deep in my never-ending to-do list. It’s seriously overwhelming to not only have the regular demands of work, marriage and parenting, but throw in Autism, therapies, a food allergy, a sick kid and you have one tired mom… And those are just part of our plethora of parenting issues pertaining to only one of our kids! I feel like I am stretched far too thin these days. To add to the general insanity, I am now working for Keller Williams doing residential real estate in my “free” time. Why? Because I am crazy. Totally insane, even. Do you ever feel like things will never get easier? I just feel like I can’t get ahead. If I pay off one bill, another pops up in its place. If I try to increase my salary by working more, I lose precious family time. If I spend two hours at the grocery store dissecting Ingredient lists, I get home too late to use said ingredients to bake a soy-free pound cake for Knox. Let’s not even talk about the intense mom guilt I feel over never having made baby food for Brody. Aside from mushing up an occasional banana, I feed him baby food from a jar. Not that that’s bad or anything, but I made everything Knox ate for over a year myself. Funny how things change with that second baby!! Anyway, this long rambling paragraph serves to say: I’m tired. I’m over-scheduled. I’m struggling to keep it all together. The end. Now I’m going to try to grab five hours of sleep before I have to wake up and attempt to keep a two year old neat and well-groomed for picture day… Yeah right!

12 thoughts on “Blah!

1. Tegan

Jess, i feel for you so much in this post and can relate. I dont have anywhere nearly the same problems and im lucky enough to stay at home but when you throw in a high maintenance 2yr old plus a 6month old who currently wears a medical helmet, has fairly severe food allergies and thinks sleep is for the weak…..im tired and struggle a lot some days. From what you share, you give your children 110% and are constantly looking for ways to do better and that is the sign of a mama doing her best, and it IS good enough. Xx

2. Blaire

Hi Jessica. I totally understand how you could get overwhelmed with everything on your platter. I’m a speech therapist that does feeding therapy and have a list of soy free food items at work. Do you want me to email it to you?

3. Elizabeth

I am so sorry things are so crazy for you and your family. You are a wonderful wife & mother! I hope you know that. Being a Mom is so hard. Being a Mom to two is even harder even in the very best situations. Don’t feel bad about the baby food. I made a bunch of stuff for my son and he hates it. He will only eat jar food the little stinker.

4. erica

I sympathize with you on hectic days! Just take one thing at a time and prioritize. Some things will move up to the top of the list and some will have to move to the bottom. If you ever have a little extra free time, (like on a Sunday) then bake a few things and freeze so that you have some soy-free things for Knox to eat. OR, buy the ingredients and see if a family member or someone else would be willing to bake up a few things for you and you can freeze those. I like to bake so I’m the kind of person that would be up for something like that. Do you have Peapod there? I don’t, but I hear wonderful things about them and that would save you time with not having to go grocery shopping! Sure, a little more in cost, but time is money, right? Like you already know, I have “issues” with all 3 of my kids and 2 are already in the school system with IEP meetings and such so I totally get you on all of that. My middle child has such bad allergies that we had to start shots back in May and it was TWICE A WEEK for 5 MONTHS! AHH!!! Fortunately, we have worked our way down to once every two weeks, but it’s just one more thing to add to the ‘to do’ list. You might have to get the hubs to take on one or two more things on his days off to give you back some sanity. :)

I used to do online shopping, but now, I really can’t because I have to shop at Publix (we don’t have Peapod) because they have more soy-free items, and I do have to look at labels so carefully now. I do try to freeze things like waffles and pancakes for his breakfasts, but free time to bake is in super short supply!! Im sure you understand with your three!

5. Billie

Hey Jessica,
    I dont think I have ever posted on your blog but I have been reading it since u found out you were pregnant with Brody. I have four kids aging from 1 to 10. Let me just say from my experience as a parent if you go to bed feeling like a guilty mom its only because you are a great mom. There are not enough hours in a day to do it all. Give yourself a pat on the back for all you do. You can check out my blog at themcsix6.blogspot.com/ although Im so busy I never get to post.

Thanks so much, Billie. I try my best, but right now I feel like a hamster in a wheel- running and running but never getting anywhere! I’m sure it’s a phase, but man alive, I wish things would be a little less stressful soon!

6. Caitlin MidAtlantic

I have been thinking of you and Knox so much since his diagnosis. You are being such a great mom for him – right on top of getting him tested, so he can get the best care. I’m sure you feel overwhelmed right now, but I admire your strength. I believe that Knox’s new therapies will become part of a routine, he will thrive, and you will come out stronger than ever.

7. Brenna

Jessica,
    Go listen to that song “It Won’t be Like This for Long” I swear that song sometimes helps me feel like I can get through the tough times. I will tell you this. My Dad worked his butt off. Long hours, came home late and sometimes missed out when we were younger. The thing I know now as an adult is my Dad did it all for us. Now his hard work has paid off and he is able to spend more time with us and really enjoy family vacations. The good thing about this is the boys are so young they don’t know any different. Once they get older they will be out with friends and when things finally slow down for everyone you will all be able to enjoy your time together the way you want. Not sure if this helps but I am thinking of you guys and praying!!

8. Vicki K.

Everyone gave you good advice, so I just wanted to add one thing. I can tell you are an amazing mom. I don’t even know you, but it absolutely shows through your blog. The words that have helped me through so many hard times are “this too shall pass”. Hang in there.

9. Terri S

As the mother of a 17 year old son with Aspergers, it gets better and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hugs!