I love Paula Deen. And I always will.

This whole debacle in the media with Paula Deen has officially turned the corner into ridiculous territory. The nature of the beast is that this is a society that is offended by EVERYTHING. Anything that anyone says is scrutinized and picked apart, until there is some grain of rudeness or inappropriateness that can be shoved down their throats. The fact that sponsors are dropping this women over saying something 30 YEARS AGO is absolutely ridiculous to me. She didn’t kill someone. She didn’t steal from someone. She said one single word out of fear and stress that she now highly regrets. I am certainly glad that no one looks back at things I said even five years ago and holds me accountable for them. I don’t know about you, but I have certainly said some stupid things over the years, and I would not want to be held to them decades later. As much as I have changed as a person in the last four years, I already feel like a totally different individual. I can’t imagine how differently I will feel about my words and actions 30 years from now. This woman has apologized and apologized, and I believe that she is sorry. Why, when the majority of the public (regardless of race) doesn’t seem to mind, do these companies keep dropping her?

Because we have created a monster. Everything now is so politically correct and over the top that you can’t breathe without terror of offending someone. Well guess what?? The fear of offending people has become offensive to me. So there, now I’m offended at how offended everyone else is getting.

Why does no one seem to see how ridiculous this has all become? I am so sick of living in a world where people are ripped apart constantly. Being in the public eye has turned into the biggest curse, that I don’t think I’d wish fame on anyone. Good grief, even if you blog, now, you open yourself up to endless criticism and ridicule. I generally don’t mention controversial topics here for that reason- it’s not worth the stress or the aggravation that is caused when I open my mouth/ write my true feelings on something. For whatever reason, this has really struck a chord with me, though, and I am not going to shut up about this. I do not condone racism, and I am sure most people today do not, and am in no way agreeing with what she said. But seriously, give me a break, leave her alone and move on. If the public is angry with her, they can choose to change the channel when her show comes on, not eat at her restaurant and not buy her products. It’s that simple. Now, those of us that believe in forgiveness and the Golden Rule are being denied the opportunity to make that choice for ourselves.

If the worst thing Paula Deen has ever done was to say the n-word a lifetime ago, then you know what? I forgive her, and everyone else should, too. That’s my two cents on that.

25 thoughts on “I love Paula Deen. And I always will.

1. Jessica

Amen!

I am so sad for her. I can’t even believe this is an issue. She want under oath, she told the truth, she did the right thing. What more did we want?

We have all said and done things we regret. I wish the world would cut her a break. She’s such a good woman and has done so much for society.

Totally agree, Jessica. She does so much for other people, now when she needs help, she’s refused. It’s heartbreaking.

2. Nicole

Perhaps you should read the full complaint before you spout off like this. It wasn’t an “isolated incident” of Paula Deen saying one wrong word. It was a five year pattern of repeated abuse (from 2005-2010, so hardly 30 years ago), both of sexual and racial in nature, that affected multiple employees of her restaurant and catering companies, in addition to violating numerous employment laws.

I have read the whole thing, as I believe in knowing the back story before talking about something. She denies these allegations, the majority of which are directed towards her brother (who I do think should be the one sued/ reprimanded here, not her). She stated her stance under oath, admitting to using the n-word, nothing else. She didn’t have to admit that, if she was lying, so I am unsure as to why should would admit blame at all if she was going to be deceitful.

1. Jessica

I agree Jessica. I have also real the whole thing, several times. Do I think her brother was up to no good? Yes, yes I do.
        Paula, on the other hand, no.

3. Katie

I could not agree more!!! The sad thing is people think that she has done so wrong, which she did and she has apologized for that but they act like they have never done wrong. No matter if she said this one year ago or thirty years ago, it was wrong and she has apologized.

I can’t believe she keeps getting dropped by all of these companies. They better hope their past doesn’t come in the spotlight because we all have a past and we all are human!

4. Brittany

Amen! I think this whole thing is crazy. If you don’t like her then don’t watch her, but there isn’t any reason to try to destroy her name. Still love the butter queen!

5. Kelly

I totally agree Jessica! People who do not even know or care a thing about Paula Deen are spouting off about her now. She told the truth under oath…SHOCKER! I think people need to back off.

It was one word…one little word. She apologized. Give the woman a break

Also, I am with you. I am offended by all of the people who are so easily offended. Get tough people, and grow up. Most of these people are just jumping on the bandwagon anyway.

6. Erin

I agree with you 100%! I am SO over all this political correctness bull! It is getting to be ridiculous! People may think I’m crazy for saying this but look, she’s in her 60s and from the south- things were different when she was younger (and I’m not putting down the south, it just it what it is). SO much has changed since then. We all grow and change over the years. PLUS! I don’t condone the use of the N word EVER, but if the word is SO offensive, perhaps African Americans should stop throwing it around as much as they do! It’s no different than girls calling each other b*tch and sl*t. I can’t stand how these words get used so carelessly but then if someone else uses it as carelessly it is suddenly a huge fiasco and they’re offended. UGH! This country needs clean up our language and we also need to stop being SO sensitive to others’ mistakes. It makes me sick that her entire career, something she’s built for years, could just be over in a heartbeat because the media won’t let it go.

7. Tammy

You know why these companies are dropping her? Because it puts THEIR name in the spotlight…what better way to get brand recognition? They don’t care what it’s for, so long as the public sees their company name and perhaps thinks they did something popular (by dropping her). It’s a shame. Everything she worked so hard to build torn apart by greed.

8. Amanda

I was prepared to write a rant to go along with yours, and then I realized Erin (who commented before me) summed up my thoughts perfectly! It was a different time, political correctness is just plain wrong, and Paula Deen is awesome.

(Really, though, I wonder what would happen if certain other celebrity or political figures were put under oath/given a lie-detector test? Would any of them get popped for saying something not politically correct?! You better believe they would.)

1. Terri S

Lately I have heard the word Cracker thrown about. I find that word just as awful as the N word. Why is it ok to call a European American a cracker?

9. Karen

Amen! It’s pretty awful. The sad thing is people say much much worse every day, and no one says anything. I just feel like it has gotten way out of control with her!

10. Brooke

The whole thing is getting absolutely ridiculous. Everyone is so worried about offending everyone, it’s like people forgot they have an opinion because they are so worried about getting sued.

11. Leslie Clark

I find it interesting that many of the people who have the “just let her be and don’t watch her show if you don’t like her” attitudes are fighting hard for traditional marriage when the same line of thought could/should be used for both. It’s two totally separate issues but since they’re both in the news now, I’m noticing this from many people. This is not everyone and I know I am making generalizations but there’s some overlap. Just something to think about.

Interesting observation, I can see where you’re coming from. I do think those are very different, namely because one draws from Biblically-based opinions and views, which makes it more heated and complicated!

12. Nikki Kirsch

If they are dropping her over the use of the N word 30 years ago, then I think it’s a little extreme. If the allegations against her in the last 10 years are true, then I feel the sponsors are justified. I just wish they’d wait until the real trial is finished, and not just the trial of public opinion.

13. Holly

Personally, I think she deserves praise for TELLING THE TRUTH, even when she knew (and I’m sure she knew) that admitting to using that word, even 30 years ago, would put her in the hot seat. It sure seems that in today’s world telling a lie is a natural thing for most people and it is just accepted. When the lie is found out, people shrug it off as nothing. Honesty, to me, is the most important thing. We all make mistakes, we all do things we end up regretting at some point. Do we all always tell the truth and admit to our mistakes? Not usually. Good for Paula Deen. I will continue to buy her products and have in fact purchased some this week just because of what is going on. I had pre-ordered her new cookbook via Amazon before all of this started and received an email on Friday stating that they could not fill the order because their supplier was dropping the item. Ballantine Books is canceling the book deal they had with Paula Deen. I have no respect for this company now. I would have respected them more had they stood beside her and supported her until this mess is done. As you said above, what happened to innocent until proven guilty?
    My personal opinion is that this lawsuit has come about because of WHO Paula Deen is and what she has ($$$), not BECAUSE of Paula Deen. How unfortunate that she is taking the fall for something that her brother allegedly has done.

14. MADDY GARNER

Stay strong. We’ve living in days where white is black, wrong is right, bad is good and down is up. I KNOW there are far more with you than against you….it’s just that those against you have the mic…the big crazy media giant who just love to hear themselves talk. We love you. I think of you so often and send up a little prayer each time. Your good character is so obvious! Please take comfort in your wonderful family and true friends and fans you adore you.

15. G

If there was a Paula Deen fund I would donate….Girl there is no end to the love my household has for you…GO TEAM PAULA!!!!